Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: Joyous Miseries

Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 16:17:04 +0200 (CEST)
To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>

Thanks to Volker (5 May) for the important information about the Eleven without Women, including the date of the invitation, which I agree may be 1858, though I’d be interested to hear how the line after “Brebant” is read as “Ph[ilippe] Gille”.

***) Hi. I keep some autographs of Philippe Gille, and they all show the same handwriting (including the signature). The second document of the Eleven, written in the same handwriting, is clearly signed "Gille", without "Ph".

I do not entirely share his view, however, on references, either in general or in particular. VD seems to say, for instance, that it is a “problem” that my edition fails not only to give precise information about the manuscript of Joyous Miseries (JM), but that it fails to cite one of his own (!) pieces in the Bulletin de la société Jules Verne, about Lorois.

***) Indeed, our views differ greatly in this question. Anyway, identifying the name of the third traveler, was a substantial contribution in biographical matters after the publishing of the text. The author's name of the article is not important, but the fact, I think, is. It's not necessary to invent the wheel for a second time.

In that same piece, however, he himself not only provides a triply incomplete reference (p. 3, note 2), but also omits to provide any information about the manuscript of JM!

***) The reference is abridged, indeed, but it was considered to be sufficient for the readers of the Bulletin. The manuscript of the text, recently published in facsimile by Geo, was not the subject of the article, it was the person of Lorois.

Best, Volker

I did consider mentioning Dehs’s contribution in the edition, but on balance preferred to go back to primary sources, namely the 1861 diary: my Appendix F, containing brief extracts from this document, identifies the surname of the third (and second) companions, for it reads “To Lorois 200 [tab] to Hignard 200”.   

With best regards,

Bill

Received on Sat 14 May 2011 - 17:17:10 IDT

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2011/05/15 08:00:04 $$