Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: Civil War Memorial Edinburgh

Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 23:32:55 -0500 (CDT)
To: jvf~at~gilead.org.il

Mr.Macon, Not trying to provoke? And, the race-card, too? Res Ipsa Loquitor. I stand by my statements, and would be willing to continue were it not for your obvious politically-correct procrustian bed. Although I could trade academic credentials and personal and family history you know nothing of, in answer to your baiting, I choose merely to cite historical truth. Your failure to find historical fact in support of your allegations shows your statements to be the gratuitous and fatuous insults to intellegence they are. The mis-management of Reconstruction by the Federal government was the well-spring of the Jim Crow you complain of. The US flag flew over slave ships (and their Yankee owners), not the Confederate flag- therefore the US Government should be the target of your rancor, not the Confederate. Confederate veterans are, by Federal law and VA fiat, recognized as US veterans; and, as the American Holiday of Memorial Day is upon is, are to be honored for having done their honorable and patriotic duty just as much. 

One more quote from Lincoln: "Even when you have ceased to be slaves, you are yet far from being placed on an equality with the white race... . the aspiration of men is to enjoy equality with the best when free, but on this broad continent, not a single man of your race is made the equal of a single man of ours." Abraham Lincoln, at a conference at the White House supporting a free black colony to be called Linconia. August 14, 1862.

Having said that, I trust we can all retire this discussion and return to proper Vernian topics.
David McCallister
Received on Tue 24 May 2011 - 07:33:06 IDT

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2011/05/24 06:00:03 $$