Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

for andrew nash

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 13:57:12 +0100 (GMT+0100)
To: jvf~at~leeor.technion.ac.il

Here's another piece of text for Andrew Nash, which I couldn't send the
normal way. Do you have any idea why that didn't work out?
Garmt.
>

>
> ** THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY **
> ** YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE **
> **********************************************
>
> The original message was received at Wed, 13 Mar 1996 17:28:35 +0100 (GMT+0100)
> from ruunat.fys.ruu.nl [131.211.32.69]
>
> ----- The following addresses have delivery notifications -----
> <anash~at~enterprise.ca> (transient failure)
>
> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> <anash~at~enterprise.ca>... Deferred: Name server: enterprise.ca.: host name lookup failure
> Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
> Will keep trying until message is 3 days old
>
> ----- Original message follows -----
>
> Return-Path: gdevries
> Received: from ruunat.fys.ruu.nl (ruunat.fys.ruu.nl [131.211.32.69]) by max.fys.ruu.nl (8.7.5/8.7.3/hjm) with ESMTP id RAA00025 for <anash~at~enterprise.ca>; Wed, 13 Mar 1996 17:28:35 +0100 (GMT+0100)
> From: Garmt de Vries <gdevries>
> Received: (from gdevries~at~localhost) by ruunat.fys.ruu.nl (8.7.5/8.7.3) id RAA08041 for anash~at~enterprise.ca; Wed, 13 Mar 1996 17:28:34 +0100 (GMT+0100)
> Message-Id: <199603131628.RAA08041~at~ruunat.fys.ruu.nl>
> Subject: Re: Your message bout 'Tourism'!
> To: anash~at~enterprise.ca (Andrew Nash)
> Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 17:28:33 +0100 (GMT+0100)
> In-Reply-To: <m0tuScb-000ZJtC~at~mail.enterprise.ca> from "Andrew Nash" at Mar 6, 96 06:27:00 pm
> X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL25]
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>
> Dear Andrew,
>
> Here is the modified version of Excursion. If there are any errors in it,
> please mail me, so I can correct them. Thanks.
>
>
>
> AN EXCURSION IN LONDON TO THE REFORM CLUB AND SAVILE ROW
>
>
> Last summer I was on a holiday trip in England with my family, during
> which we visited
> London for one day. Of course I could not leave this capital without having a look at the
> Reform Club and Fogg's house in Savile Row (not Saville Row, as in some editions of Around
> the World). The first thing I noticed when I was walking up the stairs to the enormous front
> door of the well-known Reform Club, 104 Pall Mall, was the air of luxury that hung all
> around the place. At the door I addressed to a member of the Club. I told him that I was a
> Jules Verne collector and that I was eager to see this Club in real, flattering him a little
> ("So this is the famous Reform Club, wow, this is really it, etc."). I asked politely if I
> could have a look inside. "I'm afraid not," said the gentleman. I tried to persuade him, but
> now the porter joined us. Unfortunately he had his orders, although he was sincerely sorry
> for me. But: "Strictly members only, Sir. No photographs, no visitors, strictly members
> only," was the best I could get out of the gentleman. I asked if I was allowed, then, to
> make a photograph, but that too was strictly forbidden. No photographs, no visitors,
> strictly members only. Meanwhile I had cast a quick glance through the door. What I
> perceived was an extremely luxurious interior, with portraits, giant stairs with copper and
> gold and red carpets everywhere. I had my camera ready, but an old man with grey whiskers
> came down the stairs and stretched out his hand so as to prevent me from making a picture.
> They were all very persistent, in any case more persistent than I was, so I made a
> photograph of the door mat, with the Reform Club logo on it, and I left. I doubt whether the
> members know their illustrious colleague. Of course they wouldn't care much, because Fogg
> was invented by a French writer.
> My next goal was to see the house in which Phileas Fogg had lived. I had noted the
> address at home: 47 Savile Row, London. Savile Row is an old road, parallel to the very
> crowded and well-known Regent Street. Lots of tailors have their residence here; they're all
> quite expensive. The numbers in Savile Row were distributed at random, it seemed. Houses had
> ben destroyed, houses had been built, and it was quite a mess. I looked for no. 47
> throughout the entire street, but I couldn't find it anywhere; 39 was as far as it went. I
> decided to ask one of the tailors, so I went into a shop (Anderson and Co, established
> somewhere in the 19th century) to ask if there was, or had ever been, a no. 47, Savile Row.
> They thought not. The tailor knew the book vaguely; his opinion was that the address was
> "probably fictitious".
> In Prince's Street there are many second-hand bookshops. I went into all of them of
> course, and beside buying some books, I checked a good edition of Around the World to see if
> Fogg's address was really 47. Surprise: in this edition it was 7 ! I went back to Savile Row
> to watch the house (nothing special, just a dull front door next to some shops; it has
> probably known better times) and to take a photograph. Anyway, I was glad that I had seen
> Phileas' house after all.
>
> Garmt de Vries.
>
>
>
> Greetings,
> Garmt.
>
>
Received on Thu 14 Mar 1996 - 14:58:26 IST

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il