Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Cinq Semaines en Ballon

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 20:35:36 -0300
To: "'jvf~at~math.technion.ac.il'" <jvf~at~math.technion.ac.il>

Hi everyone,

I am one of the newest members of the JVF. I am reading now the translation to Portuguese of the book "Cinq Semaines en Ballon".

As I love to research further the information on the books I read, I found some misinformation on the first chapter of this book. The paragraph, in Portuguese, says:

"De Surate passou à Austrália e fez parte, em 1845, da expedição do capitão Stuart, incumbido de descobrir o mar Cáspio que se supunha existir no centro da Nova Holanda".

Translating that to English would be something like this:

"From Surat he went to Australia and joined, in 1845, the expedition of captain Stuart, who had the task of discovering the Caspian sea which were supposed to exist at the center of the New Holland".

Here come the questions:

1) Could someone write down for me the way this sentence is written in the original French?

2) "Nova Holanda" is the way Australia was called in the beginning of the 17th century. How was it called in English and French?

3) My research showed me that the man who went to expedition the center of Australia in 1845 was named Charles Sturt (not Stuart), and he was not a captain. He was indeed looking for an inland sea since 1828, but my research never showed that this inland sea, which was never found of course, was named "Caspian sea". Anyone has any information about this?

Best regards,

Carlos Pastorino
Brazil
Received on Wed 22 Apr 1998 - 02:37:22 IDT

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2009/02/01 22:36:11 $$