Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

80 SECONDS THIS WEDNESDAY

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 21:44:31 +0100
To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~math.technion.ac.il>

Dear Fogg friends,

although the response is not quite as good as I imagined, we are going for it this wednesday with our 80 seconds round the world project. We now have participants in the Netherlands (1 or 2), Italy (1), Greece (1), Isreal (1), India (1) and the US (3). You find the full list with e-mail adresses below in the order , including time differences measured from GMT time. Please make sure to check the correct time difference.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN ON WEDNESDAY?
At a preset time I will mail the title of the first chapter of the book Tour du Monde en 80 Yours in English (being Foggs mother tongue) to the personal -email adress of the next participant in the list. He or she is awaiting the message, puts the title of the chapter which tells the story closest to his whereabouts on top of the incoming message and forwards it to the personal e-mailadress of the next in line.

MAKE SURE
You are watching your mailbox at the preset time.
Have the title (just the title!) of the chapter in you own language ready, preferably in a file you can paste in.
Forward the message to the PERSONAL EMAILADRES provided below.

WHEN DO WE HAVE A GO?
Since Swati in India has most trouble being free and able to use his mail-account, I proposed to let him pick an appropriate time. He opts for 15.30 GMT (being 21.00 Indian Sdt Time). In de following table I have arranged the moment for all participants, as I figured it out. Please correct me if I am wrong. World times can be found at http://www.globalmetric.com/time/

THE LIST

martijn van calmthout tijn~at~euronet.nl Netherlands 15.30 GMT + 1.00 16.30 local
Garmt de Vries G.deVries~at~phys.uu.nl Netherlands 15.30 GMT + 1.00 16.30
charlie charlie~at~netbusiness.it Italy 15.30 GMT + 1.00 16.30
Constantina Spiliopoulou simplex~at~otenet.gr Greece 15.30 GMT + 2.00 17.30
Zvi Har'El rl~at~math.technion.ac.il Isreal 15.30 GMT + 2.00 17.30
svati dasgupta dasgupta~at~nde.vsnl.net.in India 15.30 GMT + 5.30 21.00
harold long keenes~at~earthlink.net US, Spokane 15.30 GMT - 8.00 07.30
raymond macon maconr~at~rmi.net US, Boulder 15.30 GMT - 7.00 08.30
michael Duke mikeyd~at~usit.net US, Jackson T 15.30 GMT - 6.00 09.30
martijn van calmthout tijn~at~euronet.nl Netherlands 15.30 GMT + 1.00 16.30

Please let me know NOW if everyone is still on the list and if he or she really will take part. We can't afford to stop dead right in the middle. Perhaps it is best to mail me the number of the chapter you will pick, so we won't have any doubles.

Any questions? Mail me. I am looking forward to this special millennium event which will feature prominently in the Dutch nationale newspaper De Volkskrant.

LETS GO FOR IT!!!!
cheers

Martijn van Calmthout
science writer
de Volkskrant
Amsterdam,, the Netherlands
31 20 5622587
tijn~at~euronet.nl
http://www.volkskrant.nl
Received on Mon 20 Dec 1999 - 22:41:17 IST

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El