Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: AROUND THE WORLD IN 874 SECONDS

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 21:14:32 +0100
To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~math.technion.ac.il>

dear Fogg friends

as the dust settles I am trying to figure out what has hapened in our trip around the world by e-mail. I think I know what happened. After 874 seconds I recieve an e-mail from Svi fwd Swati fwd Harold fwd Raymond fwd Michael. But as we agreed we were forwarding in a definite order, we must assume also me, Garmt, Angela and Constantina contributed to what Svi picked up. Why the first four contributions were nog in the message seems a mystery, but perhaps it has something to do with de viewer needed to open Constantinas message in Greek. This requires to download 1.2 MB of software, which takes time and has not been done of course. So Svi unknowingly added his text to a blank message, which arrived at the rest and finally back to me.

This has one unfortunate consequence, which is that we cannot trace exactly the history of the full message. We have to reconstruct it from Svi's sent mail box (which he already sent me, thank you Svi). I am still working on it, since this requires the Greek software indeed. I will send the full message as soon as possible.

Then there is Constantina's timing problem, which she handled fine by just not thinking and forwarding what came in at an unexpected time. Somehow we have had a mixup in local times. After some research I now know that the part where she lives must have GMT + 1,5 hours. We thought it was 2. Sorry. You did really fine anyway, but you must have been desperate.

Then we have the matter of the funny echoes through the JVF forum in Haifa. First we had a break down in the e-mail structure of my newspaper, which never happens, but today it did. So I thuoght I was sending things which neven arrived because they were lost in the first 2 meters or so.
Nevertheless JVF has a real time delay. It seems to take perhaps even 20 minutes to get a message to all recipients on the list. I had not realised that. So when i sent an alert for 1 hour or 5 minutes it arrived after the real 80 second message arrived directly from the person before you. Very confusing, but fortunately no-one hung up.

Can every participant try to figure out the time he or she got the message and forwarded it again? So we can check our conclusions fron the reconstruction I mentioned.

Finally I remind you of sending IN MY PERSONAL E-MAIL your full adress where I can send a copy of my feature article in De Volkskrant on december 31.

Merry Chrismas to you all, and a verne happy new year.

martijn

----- Original Message -----
  To: jvf~at~math.technion.ac.il (Jules Verne Forum)
  Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 1999 5:17 PM
  Subject: AROUND THE WORLD IN 874 SECONDS

DEAR FRIENDS
  WE MADE IT AROUND THE GLOBE! CONGRATULATIONS.
  80 SECONDS IS IMPOSSIBLE, IT SEEMS. MY STOPWATCH IS AT 14.34 MINUTES, WHICH
  IS 874 SECONDS
  THATS ALLRIGHT WITH ME

THERE IS HOWEVER ONE PROBLEM

IN THE FINAL MAIL THERE IS NO TEXT FROM
  GARMT, CHARLIE AND CONSTANTINA
  i DON'T KNOW WHY
  PLEASE SEND ME A SEPARATE TEXT BY EMAIL, WHICH i WILL ADD TO THE FINAL
  RESULT

WATCH THE FORUM FOR THE FINAL MESSAGE

CAN ALL PARTICIPANTS CHECK THEIR SENT MAIL FOR THE ARRIVAL EN SENDING TIME OF THE MESSAGE. IT WOULD BE GREAT TO FIND OUT HOW WE FARED AROUND THE GLOBE MORE EXACTLY.

THANK YOU ALL, LOVE YOU

MARTIJN

Martijn van Calmthout
  science writer
  de Volkskrant
  Amsterdam,, the Netherlands
  31 20 5622587
  tijn~at~euronet.nl
Received on Wed 22 Dec 1999 - 22:15:56 IST

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2009/02/01 22:36:11 $$