Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: Dolphin

Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 09:30:05 +0100
To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~Gilead.org.il>

Bill,
Thanks for the mention of "Delphin", which I was unaware of. To the best of my knowledge there is no such word in French and Verne normally keeps to fairly formal rather than fanciful names for his ships. Perhaps it was a misreading of his handwriting in the ms? I certainly struggle to read his original handwriting! There is no mention of a "Delphin" in the Tod and MacGregor build list which gives each ship built a name and number, followed by the technical specifications. The Clyde-built Dolphin finished its career on the "Royal Route", on the Crinan to Oban section i.e. what was to become part of the itinerary in the Rayon Vert, but that was written much later of course by which time the Dolphin had ceased to exist after a not very glorious period as a blockade runner. In any case, she was a paddle steamer, not a screw driven vessel as described by Verne. So I tend to think that Verne invented the name but what is remarkable is his research into the shipbuilding on the Clyde, which presumably would have been from French sources (?). To have named a yard which existed, locating it exactly and also the name of the best engine builder on the Clyde at that time, Napier, must have taken some effort. He didn't visit the shipyard area in his 1859 journey, just the harbour area at Glasgow.
Regards,
Ian
Received on Mon 01 Sep 2003 - 11:31:52 IDT

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2009/02/01 22:36:11 $$