Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: Mondial Amiens 2005 and its payment...

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:06:12 -0500
To: Jules Verne Forum <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>

On Monday, January 31, 2005, Jean-Michel Margot <jmmargot~at~mindspring.com> writes:

>For programs 2 and 3, the two shorter ones) there is no problem, you pay
>your dues when you arrive in Amiens. For program 1, they ask to pay through
>a "virement bancaire". In the US, it's something uncommon or sometimes
>impossible...

Yes, this may be difficult to do, except in the big cities where offices of international banks may be found. I don't believe I could get that done here in Gainesville, FL, a university town and probably more cosmopolitan than the typical US city under 200,000 in population. I'm hoping that showing up with the monies in my pocket will do for program 2 or 3 (not sure which I'm on for, as I'm still juggling travel dates.)

>Anyway, what I plan for myself is to have the amount in cash with me and
>pay them when I arrive in Amiens, Saturday March 19th...

What remains unclear, however, is: if I elect to pay on arrival how can I confirm that my presentation is on the conference program? I filled out the pre-registration form months ago, sent in a description of my paper, etc., well before that. In a separate correspondence, I've asked for a written confirmation of some kind that I'm on the program, but I've heard nothing from Amiens in the meantime.

This has posed a moderate difficulty with regard to funding the trip. I have a modest account for this purpose at my university, and am able to apply for additional monies in the case of expensive trips such as this one.

It is usual at American universities that funds for such trips can only be entailed (set aside in the budget for the semester -- this must be done weeks beforehand) if you can show a written confirmation that you'll be giving a presentation.

I've had to swear up and down that, yes, I am giving a paper in Amiens and I need the money set aside, even though I've no way of proving that. Our department's accountant is not happy that I have thus skirted the rules. To my frustration, I have appeared to her to be disorganized and unduly demanding.

TH

----------------------------------------------
Terry Harpold
Assistant Professor
Department of English
University of Florida

<tharpold~at~acm.org>
<tharpold~at~english.ufl.edu>
<http://www.english.ufl.edu/~tharpold>

"Reading in no way obliges you to understand."
Received on Tue 01 Feb 2005 - 01:06:30 IST

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il