Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: After the Mondial

Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 09:41:50 -0400
To: Jules Verne Forum <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>

Dear friends,

On Saturday, March 26, 2005, Garmt de Vries <G.deVries~at~phys.uu.nl> writes:

>It's been an eventful and unforgettable week in Amiens...

Yes, on all accounts! An extraordinary time: a chance to meet many whom I knew only by correspondence, and to make new friendships with others for whom I had long sought such an occasion.

On reflection, I consider the four days I spent in Amiens -- I wish more now than ever that my schedule had permitted me to attend the week-long calendar of events -- among the most productive and rewarding of my scholarly career. It was an enormous pleasure to meet and converse with dozens of Vernians from as many regions of the globe.

I returned to the states with 1) a terrifically bad head-cold -- I hope that others did not also catch this nasty bug; 2) a renewed passion for des choses verniennes. I look forward to getting over the first, and to pursuing the second in further conversations with you all.

>...let's not wait until 2028 before having an international
>meeting again. It was great fun, and I'd be happy to have another Mondial
>in 5 or 10 years' time!

Yes on that. Let's find an excuse for another Mondial!

TH

P.S. Garmt -- I'll send you some scans of that Pittman shorthand edition of _Tour du monde_ shortly: very interesting, and I think, something that qualifies at least for a special mention in your list of languages. (Which raises and interesting question re the "translations" count: Verne in other shorthand formats? In Braille?)

----------------------------------------------
Terry Harpold
Assistant Professor
Department of English
University of Florida

<tharpold~at~acm.org>
<tharpold~at~english.ufl.edu>
<http://www.english.ufl.edu/~tharpold>

"Reading in no way obliges you to understand."
Received on Mon 04 Apr 2005 - 16:47:37 IDT

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El