Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: _Science Fiction Studies_ Bibliography

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 22:05:50 -0400
To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~Gilead.org.il>

If you want to try a contemporary (1875) public domain translation you might try "A voyage into the Interior of the Earth" by Frederick Amadeus Malleson on Project Gutenberg and also on Zvi's site but not identified as such I believe. Available text and html. There are a few errors which are identified, but I have not done a thorough comparison.

Incidentally at Mondial we were treated to the World Premiere of the musical extravaganza "Voyage au Centre de la Terre" with 150 piece orchestra and chorus. And did the volcano ever blow up!
  ----- Original Message -----
  To: Jules Verne Forum
  Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 10:05 AM
  Subject: Re: _Science Fiction Studies_ Bibliography

Dear Bill,

Thanks very much for your input. I guess I'm disappointed because I did like the Bradley version. In fact, I had originally read it when I was a kid. After I had read the usual "Hardwigg" version (I guess I was 10 or 11) Iiked the story so much that I sent away for the ACE paperback. Imagine my surprise when I received it and read it and it was different than the one I had originally read! I kept looking for the giant ape dream sequence and I couldn't find it. As a 10 year old, I just didn't understand. I was confused. Did my new version leave stuff out? I was too young to understand the concept of translation.

Then a few years ago I read your version and just for the heck of it I reread the Bradley version right after that. Don't get me wrong, your version was excellent and is certainly the definitive version. But I thought the Bradley version just seemed kind of stylish. Now I find out from you and Prof Evans that he took liberties with the original. Oh well.

Anyway, thanks very much.

Best regards,

Joe Muratore

-----Original Message-----
    From: owner-jvf~at~Gilead.org.il [mailto:owner-jvf~at~Gilead.org.il]On Behalf Of wbutcher
    Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 8:23 PM
    To: 'Jules Verne Forum'

The main factors in assessing a translation must be fidelity and style/readability. While Bradley reads well, he changes the text a little too much for my taste. In the 2nd paragraph quoted by Art, he says the “kettle in [sic] the kitchen stove was only just beginning to sing”, whereas Verne reads “le dr commen硩t ࠰eine ࠍ chanter”.

Best,

Bill

wbutcher~at~netvigator.com

http://verne.tk/

1/F, 46A, Lung mei Village, Taipo, Hong Kong

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: owner-jvf~at~Gilead.org.il [mailto:owner-jvf~at~Gilead.org.il] On Behalf Of Muratore, Joseph
    Sent: Friday, 08 April, 2005 12:14 AM

Dear Art,

I have been reading your articles on English Verne translations in the March SFS and have found them to be most helpful and interesting. Your ratings of translations have already pointed me to the best available translations of some Verne novels. Such as Star of the South. Thanks.

I have a question about your section on translations of Journey to the Center of the Earth. I was curious as to why you rated Bradley's 1956 Ace papaerback translation as mediocre (no symbol). I had read this immediately following my reading of Butcher's translation for Oxford, and, except for a missing paragraph about Copenhagen near the beginning, I noticed no problems compared to Butcher's work. In fact, I actually preferred Bradley's prose style over Butcher's (who was very good as well). Did I miss something during my reading of these two texts?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Joe Muratore

-----Original Message-----
      From: owner-jvf~at~Gilead.org.il [mailto:owner-jvf~at~Gilead.org.il]On Behalf Of Art Evans
      Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 1:27 AM

Dear Norm and other Vernian friends,

Thanks for the inquiry. As coincidence would have it, the March special issue of SCIENCE FICTION STUDIES on Jules Verne arrived from the printer today. It looks great. The Table of Contents for the Verne section is as follows:

Arthur B. Evans. "Editorial Introduction"

Timothy Unwin. "Jules Verne: Negotiating Change in the Nineteenth Century"

Terry Harpold. "Verne's Cartographies"

William Butcher. "Hidden Treasures: The Manuscripts of Twenty Thousand Leagues"

George Slusser. "Why They Kill Jules Verne: Science Fiction and Cartesian Culture"

Arthur B. Evans. "Jules Verne's English Translations"

Arthur B. Evans. "A Bibliography of Jules Verne's English Translations"

Teri J. Hernᮤez. "Translating Verne: An Extraordinary Journey"

Jean-Michel Margot. "Jules Verne, Playwright"

Gregory Benford. "Verne to Varley: Hard SF Evolves"

"Jules Verne Roundtable" (with James Gunn, I.F. Clarke, Paul Alkon, Carl Freedman, Roger Bozzetto, Jean-Michel Margot, FranzRottensteiner, Nicholas Ruddick, and Mark Bould)

If you wish to order a single copy of this issue of SFS, please send US$12.00 (plus $1.50 for postage if you live outside North America) payable to SF-TH Inc. to:

Prof. Arthur B. Evans

SFS, EC L-06

DePauw University

Greencastle, IN 46135 USA

We can also accept credit cards (Visa, MC, AmEx). If using a credit card, please send me the following information via email (in at least two separate messages for safety), via fax at 765-658-4764, or via regular post: type of card, name on the card, postal address, card number, and expiration date.

All the best,

Art

PS: the contributors to this issue will receive a free copy with their offprints, to be mailed out in the next few days

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 6:17 PM

Subject: Science Fiction Studies Bibliography

Will we be able to purchase single issues of SFS containing the Verne bibliography? If so are there instructions and which issue is it? thanks

N Wolcott nwolcott2~at~post.harvard.edu
Received on Sun 10 Apr 2005 - 18:19:17 IDT

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2009/02/01 22:36:11 $$