Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

New historic plaque near Tampa

Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:59:56 -0500 (CDT)
To: Jules Verne Forum <jvf~at~Gilead.org.il>

I have an opportunity to approach the Hillsborough County (Florida) Historical Society about erecting a plaque commemorating the centenary of JV's death and the connection between Tampa and the Columbiad launch/shoot. This would be placed near the Alafia river across Tampa Bay from the former Jules Verne Park visited by MM Margot, Taves, Harpold, et al with the NAJVS at the '03 AGM. The plaque is essentially the same size as the one at the park(about three feet by four feet? I'll have to check - a pretty common style for American historical markers), that was the object of some amusement to the NAJVS because of the numerous errors thereon. Anyway, I'd like to solicit some suggestions about what it should say. There's no guarantee that the committee will approve it vs other candidates, but I'd like to submit the proposal anyway. A similar private one that I helped erect in Miami for a school ran us about $2,000 or so. The cost, together with an assurance of ongoing maintenance, and the desirablility of being
 on publicly accessable land requires public backing. Yours, David McCallister
Received on Sat 23 Jul 2005 - 02:00:25 IDT

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2009/02/01 22:36:11 $$