Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Portrait of Jules Verne

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:10:27 -0000
To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~Gilead.org.il>

I have found a portrait of Jules Verne that I have never seen in any publication or biography. The portrait is in the National Portrait Gallery London and is a good quality pen and ink sketch. It depicts Verne in his later years, seated beside his writing table with his bed in the background. He is holding what looks like a sheet of galley proofs. It is not a caricature or cartoon but a well-observed portrait which looks almost as though it was posed for the artist.
The National Portrait Gallery attributes the portrait to Harry Furniss. This artist was born in Ireland in 1854 but moved to England in 1876 and worked as a caricaturist for the Illustrated London News and the satirical journal Punch. He later moved to the USA and worked in the film industry with Thomas Edison and helped pioneer animated cartoon film. He died in 1925.
It would be fascinating to know if Furniss actually met Verne for this sketch, which as a skilled caricaturist would have not taken long.We know that in later life Verne agreed to meet visitors from time to time and my impression of this drawing is that it is so authentic-looking in terms of resemblance and background that it is conceivable that it was drawn from life. It does not have the appearance of being drawn from a photograph for example. If Furniss did not visit Verne he at least must have been familiar with his working habits....it shows the desk beside the window with an inkwell together with the iron bed in the background. My guess would be that the portrait accompanied a serious article about Verne in a reputable magazine...perhaps the London Illustrated News.
For copyright reasons I am unable to post the portrait on the web. It can be obtained in a high quality scan, suitable for framing from the National Portrait Gallery via its website at a cost of approximately 5 pounds sterling plus postage. Delivery is very rapid and is despatched in a good quality protective rigid plastic cover. Personally, I find it a very evocative sketch and I would be delighted to know if any Forum members know anything more about its provenance.
Ian Thompson.
Received on Tue 21 Feb 2006 - 14:09:08 IST

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2009/02/01 22:36:11 $$