Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

The eccentric Jules Verne

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:20:33 +0000
To: jvf~at~Gilead.org.il

Dear friends:

According to the Garmt de Vries' message I can see that he've got a great affection by the novel "The will of an eccentric". For me it is no doubt a very nice work, though some descriptions are in fact a bit tedious. However, I wanted to mention some things with regard to this novel. As we know, it was written in the last years of Verne's life, in it, he seems to demonstrate a special behavior, playing with the names of his characters in a interesting way, for example, we have in the chapter 8 the character called "Kil Kirney", very strange name in my opinion, because it can mean Verne played with the words Kill or Murder and the word Kidney, the name of one of the human be organs, isn't it more than curious???

On the other hand, reading the chapter 16 we'll find a singular description, done with a lot of emphasis about a "geyser of blood"...and in the chapter 29 about the character Turk he says the following: "Turk declared that he would strangle the notary, would open him the abdomen and would devour him the liver".

I might continue mentioning other paragraphs of the novel about topics as the divorce, the misogyny, etc., then, had Verne some strange behaviour??? At least it is curious, because it is not the only one novel where the writer describes in hidden way his mysterious personality.

I'd want to know your commentaries about this expressions, because I'm a great fan of Verne and his work, however all the exclamations in mouth of his characters can be interpreted in fifferent ways.

Sincerely: Cristian Tello

MSN Amor Busca tu ½ naranja Received on Tue 18 Apr 2006 - 21:20:44 IDT

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2009/02/01 22:36:11 $$