Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

THE METEOR HUNT just published

Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 13:21:56 -0600
To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>

Dear Fellow Vernians-

Walter Miller and I are proud to announce the publication, by University of Nebraska Press, of the first English translation of Jules Verne's original THE METEOR HUNT (La Chasse au météore). Translated and edited by Frederick Paul Walter and Walter James Miller, it's based on Verne's original manuscript (prior to his son's extravagant revisions and additions); this is the first in a series of five such texts to which the University of Nebraska has acquired the English translation rights.

You'll be enchanted with the speed, deftness, elegance, and sly wit of Verne's original, All-American METEOR HUNT, which was left in thoroughly publishable form and stood in no need of Michel Verne's bogus science, cluttering subplots, and slapstick excrescences.

* Our translation is a complete, faithful, yet reader-friendly rendering of the authoritative Archipel edition (2002).

* Since the entire novel takes place in North America (85% in the U.S.), we've used American idioms to suggest the humor and gusto of the original. For general readers THE METEOR HUNT is a gobble-in-one-sitting delight.

* For Vernian scholars and devotees, we offer a full scholarly apparatus, including a Foreword (describing the novel's development, then its posthumous misfortunes), 26 pages of endnotes on the text (exploring textual concerns, thematic issues, and background delicacies), an Afterword (assessing and appreciating JV's achievement in this late-in-life gem), an Appendix (giving a blow-by-blow analysis of Michel's radical reshaping), and an 8-page annotated bibliography.

Both clothbound (actual linen) and paperbound editions are now available for sale. For further information, please visit:

http://unp.unl.edu/bookinfo/5104.html

Walter and I hope you have at least as much pleasure reading THE METEOR HUNT as we've had preparing it for print.

Warmest regards,

Rick Walter

on behalf of

Walter James Miller

and myself.
Received on Mon 02 Oct 2006 - 21:22:18 IST

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2009/02/01 22:36:11 $$