Re: The Blog of Phileas Fogg : October 28th 1872

Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 00:07:45 -0700
To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~Gilead.org.il>

BlankExcellent your blog!
  ----- Original Message -----
  To: Jules Verne Forum
  Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2006 1:43 PM
  Subject: The Blog of Phileas Fogg : October 28th 1872

Inspired by Passepartout's star turn a few days ago (which seems to have made him the talk of the ship), I decided that I've have a go at trying to produce a song for the next open session that was held tonight, and I have to say it wasn't the easiest thing in the world to do. After two hours this morning trying to think of a start, all I got was this:

Fogg, I'm the one who made the bet, and I know we'll be exactly right on time. Fogg is my name and I like to play with my life in many ways (that's what they say!)

Which isn't going to set the world on fire is it? So I decided to have a walk about on deck and found Passepartout charging towards me at high speed and then hiding behind me for some reason. The reason in question was a very brash American who asked if I was Passepartout's master. I said that I was and he took out a chequebook and signed a $15,000 cheque there and then and said "This is yours if you sign your butler up for a year in New York's theatre district!". I took the cheque, tore it into tiny pieces and threw it overboard saying "My manservant is not for sale!" before turning my back on him and asking a clearly relived Passepartout to my quarters. When he'd calmed down from his experience, I asked for his advice and as per usual he hit the nail on the head.

Here I am, I'm Passepartout. I'll serve Mr. Fogg for all time.

Just then the Princess entered and asked what we were both doing. I explained what I was planning and she added the following:

It's my turn, the gentle touch. I'm Aouda, they love me so much!

After that, for some strange reason, the rest came remarkably easy and by this afternoon we'd completed it. Next came the music, and this box of tricks came to the rescue. After putting in the words, it produced a tune within a minute. When Professor Smith comes back I am going to have to ask him what this box of tricks is as it seems to do everything under the sun. With the words and music ready, I asked Passepartout to hand it to the Captain and wait for our cue.

That cue came at 9.45pm this evening and we performed the song. And talk about reception. Not only did it get the biggest round of applause of all the turns that evening, but was put forward as the best tune ever sung on the Rangoon. Now no doubt, you would like to hear the whole song? I guessed as much. Perhaps in the future when someone reads this (and the sheet music that I will keep on me at all times and send to the British Museum when we get back to London) they will make it as famous as it is on this ship. The song is called "Eighty Days around the World"

Fogg: Fogg, I'm the one who made the bet, and I know we'll be exactly right on time. Fogg is my name and I like to play with my life in many ways (that's what they say!)

Passepartout: Here I am, I'm Passepartout. I'll serve Mr. Fogg for all time.

Aouda: It's my turn, the gentle touch. I'm Aouda, they love me so much!

Fogg: Hey, now the story must go on 'cos a lot of time has gone, we must be ready to go away!

Chorus: Eighty days around the world, We'll find a pot of gold just sitting where the rainbows end in time. We'll fight against the tide and we'll fly on the white wings of the wind. Eighty days around the world, though we won't say a word before the ship has fully docked. Round, round, all around the world, round, all around the world, round, all around the world, round, all around the world.

Passepartout: Look, there's a lion over there!

Fogg: Let's forget about our fears, we must be brave now. You, Passepartout, you have to save Aouda's life as soon as daylight will allow.

Aouda: I will bring you all the luck, we'll find around the world.

Fogg, Passepartout: Aouda, now that you're with us, you'll be the angel of the team.

Fogg: Hey, now the story must go on 'cos a lot of time has gone, we must be ready to go away!

Chorus: Eighty days around the world, We'll find a pot of gold just sitting where the rainbows end in time. We'll fight against the tide and we'll fly on the white wings of the wind. Eighty days around the world, though we won't say a word before the ship has fully docked. Round, round, all around the world, round, all around the world, round, all around the world, round, all around the world!

Blank_Bkgrd.gif
Received on Sun 29 Oct 2006 - 09:07:58 IST

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2009/02/01 22:36:11 $$