Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: JCE Progress Report

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 18:36:23 -0500 (EST)
To: Jules Verne Forum <jvf~at~Gilead.org.il>

Watcha,
  This is my first email to the group. I am writing out of sheer ignorance which is disguised as pure common sense to my Limey brain. I have been reading with great interest but still cannot fathom how a film is to be made of JCE using members of this forum. I am in Canada and would love to act the part of Grauben if someone is willing to fund my trip to the Badlands and if I could meet the handsome Eric and fall madly in love with him and live happily ever after and have 1.2 children. (Although my hubby may have a few words on that matter). Ah well...he's probably gay anyway. (Eric, not my hubby).
  Also Harry, how can you play Arne when you must have a Welsh accent that was initially invented to spit on us English under the guise of polite conversation? I love Wales and have been there many times but it is very annoying to have to wash the spit out of my hair every time I speak with the Welsh.
  Also, who is going to fund the picture? Do we all like throw in a bag of cash? If so...I could be the treasurer. I promise I won't spend it on frivolous things like nighties, makeup, a cuckoo clock or a Porsche.
  Anyway...on a less serious note, I mean...MORE serious note, let me know if I can be of help. For instance, if you need a liason officer between you lot and Eric. I can be quite persuasive when the mood strikes. I can also provide a red wig. Well, it's really blonde, but I could dye it red.
  Ok...that's enough for now, especially as you are all now probably shaking your heads and tut-tutting at how such as I can belong to such a pristine, intellectual and austere group.
  Tata for now,
  Gillian

Harry Hayfield <welshliberaldemocrat~at~yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    BODY { MARGIN-TOP: 25px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 25px; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica } P.msoNormal { MARGIN-TOP: 0px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; COLOR: #ffffcc; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica, "Times New Roman" } LI.msoNormal { MARGIN-TOP: 0px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; COLOR: #ffffcc; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica, "Times New Roman" } 1) How to get around King Christian of Denmark (the one in 1555 that is!)
  I was watching "The Three Musketeers" from 1993 a few days ago and it occurred to me that perhaps the policy of "non science" could be attributed to a Richlieu like character inside King Christian's court. Whilst it was pointed out that King Christian supported science research, maybe this person believed that was the wrong way to go and perhaps decided to adopt his own policy and enforce it with his own set of guards.
  2) How to recreate Iceland in the United States
  Having a look at the membership list, it clear that apart from myself, Zvi and a few other people, most of the group's membership come from the United States so therefore using that wonder of the net Google Earth, I'd like to ask whether people think this (a picture of the Montana badlands) could double for a summery Snaefells volcano foothills.

Montana has had quite a good track record in recent years for doubling for volcanic locations. The BBC have been there several times for their "Walking with Dinosaurs" franchise and a few days ago "Primeval" (which was created by the same production team) thanked the Montana Tourist Board when filming a section set in the Permian era in Montana
  3) Casting update
  Now, as I understand it there are no huge objections to myself playing Arne (with or without a horse), but it occured to me that there was one person that the membership might find difficult to place and that was Hans. Well, I'd like to offer a suggestion. Whilst finding that picture of Montana, someone I knew called Eric thanked me for adding him to my YAHOO Messenger list and wanted to know if I knew of any acting oppotunites in a voluntary context. I said I was aware of a couple, but as his profile hadn't been filled in with any pictures it was a little tricky to determine what role he would be good for. So he smiled (using icons) and pointed me in the direction of this picture

My immediate reaction was to load up my Project Gutenburg version of "Journey" and dig out the description of Hans.
  "He was conversing in the Danish language with a tall man, of robust build. This fine fellow must have been possessed of great strength. His eyes, set in a large and ingenuous face, seemed to me very intelligent; they were of a dreamy sea-blue. Long hair, which would have been called red even in England, fell in long meshes upon his broad shoulders. The movements of this native were lithe and supple; but he made little use of his arms in speaking, like a man who knew nothing or cared nothing about the language of gestures. His whole appearance bespoke perfect calmness and self-possession, not indolence but tranquillity. It was felt at once that he would be beholden to nobody, that he worked for his own convenience, and that nothing in this world could astonish or disturb his philosophic calmness".
  Now I don't know about you, but I read that check list to him and he said yes to all of them bar one, and that's the issue of long red hair (to which he said "Would a wig count?"). So if the group have no objections, may I be permitted in introducing the group to our Hans (who's resident in South Carolina but will be moving to California in April)

picture picture
Received on Wed 21 Feb 2007 - 13:00:05 IST

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2009/02/01 22:36:11 $$