Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 20:17:42 -0200
To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>

Blank
  ----- Mensaje original -----
  De: Harry Hayfield
  Para: Jules Verne Forum
  Enviado: miércoles, 2 de enero de 2008 12:43
  Asunto: GPS and Jules Verne

I would like to know just how accurate Jules's GPS locations are. The reason I am asking is that I remember there was quite a discussion about the accuracy of the GPS co-ordinates for Stones Hill and wondered if this applied to all GPS locations Jules writes about. As I am sure everyone knows when referring to Stones Hill he says:

This spot is situated eighteen hundred feet above the level of the sea, in 27~at~ 7' N. lat. and 5~at~ 7' W. long.* [of the meridian of Washington]. It appears to me by its rocky and barren character to offer all the conditions requisite for our experiment. On that plain will be raised our magazines, workshops, furnaces, and workmen's huts; and here, from this very spot," said he, stamping his foot on the summit of Stones Hill, "hence shall our projectile take its flight into the regions of the Solar World

If I understand it correctly he means 27° 7' North of the Equator and 5° 7' West of Washington DC the only problem with that is it's just to the north of the Bahamas! So therefore when Jules quotes GPS locations are they based on the Greenwich meridian or the Paris meridan?

*(Verne's note: Au méridien de Washington. La différence avec le méridien de Paris est de 79º 22'. Cette longitude est donc en mesure française 83º 25'.)

http://jv.gilead.org.il/kelvin/talune/fig16.gif

fig16.gif Blank_Bkgrd.gif
Received on Thu 03 Jan 2008 - 08:44:59 IST

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2009/02/01 22:36:11 $$