Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Need good scan of early Verne color illustration

Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:58:04 -0700
To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>

Dear Friends--

I'm writing in the desperate hope somebody can help me get a scan of an early Verne color illustration.

I need a good copy of one of T. C. Dugdale's pictures for JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH: his painting of the battle in Ch. 33 between the ichthyosaurus and plesiosaurus. According to Taves & Micheluk's JULES VERNE ENCYCLOPEDIA (p. 108, bottom of 1st column, top of 2nd), these little-known but attractive color illustrations first appeared in a 1911 British edition of JCE published by Henry Frowde and Hodder & Stoughton. Furthermore, Dugdale's paintings were reissued in a 1924 edition published by Humphrey Milford, an arm at that time of Oxford U.P.; Andrew Nash's collectibles webpage cites this later edition along with miniatures of Dugdale's artwork at http://www.julesverne.ca/vernebooks/jvbkjourney.html -- 1923 listing.

Though Dugdale's pictures have been in the public domain for a good while, I've never actually seen reprints of them in either the USA or the UK.

Anyhow, my friends, I earnestly need a good copy of Dugdale's battling reptiles, one that I could convert to a respectable slide, among other uses. (The Albuquerque Balloon Museum keeps asking me to give Verne talks, and since we're both on the city payroll, I always comply; but I'd like to use public domain visuals where possible.)

Can anybody on the Forum help me get a scan of this pioneering illustration? Both of these editions seem pretty scarce, but SOMEBODY must have a copy -- do you, by chance? I'm happy to defray ANY expenses incurred in generating a sharp scan. If you can help, please let me know at your earliest convenience.

Profuse thanks in advance.

Rick Walter
Albuquerque, New Mexico
(505) 821-5678

rick1walter~at~comcast.net
Received on Wed 23 Jan 2008 - 05:58:16 IST

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2009/02/01 22:36:11 $$