Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Homage a Zvi

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 01:10:48 -0500
To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>
Cc: "Dennis Kytasaari" <djk~at~epguides.com>

I was working in the throes of Hector Servadac the Lulu book I am trying to finish Sunday evening when I casually opened my email for a bit of relaxation. It took me at least 5 minutes to understand what I was reading. After a few days the shock has worn off a little, and although this book is nothing special, it is almost 600 pages, and if any of you have tried a 600 page Lulu book you will know there is some heavy lifting involved. It seemed only appropriate, without being presumptuous, to dedicate this effort to Zvi's memory. For those of you who will not get to see the book, I include a copy of the dedication below:

Dedicatiion

I should like to dedicate this little work to the memory of Dr. Zvi Har'El of Haifa, Israel who died this last week. For the past 15 years through the Jules Verne Forum which he founded and his Jules Verne website the whole world has learned to know of Jules Verne and his Voyages Extraordinaires.

From the early days when a few amateurs exchanged news and anecdotes about Jules Verne on our green monochrome computer screens the Forum has grown to a world wide circle of friends who sign on daily so as not to miss the latest developments. The website he started has grown into an invaluable repository of texts, illustrations, history and research.

I was privileged to meet Zvi and his wife Zahava and enjoy their fellowship at the Jules Verne Mondial in Amiens March 2005.

-Norman Wolcott Fevruary 4 2008

Zvi was not only an information collector but also a tireless promoter. At the Mondial one morning while we were riding on the train around the Bay of Somme he was on his cell phone for the daily phone report he made every day for at least ten live minutes for Israeli television, keeping all of Israel informed in real time about the daily Verne events at the Mondial.

nwolcott2~at~post.harvard.edu
Received on Wed 06 Feb 2008 - 08:12:24 IST

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2009/02/01 22:36:11 $$