Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: 1975 Strogoff mini-series broadcast in England

Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:47:42 -0800 (PST)
To: jvf~at~gilead.org.il

Hi Harry,

Cleaning out email found this that I hadn't followed up on, and I located the answer--yes, this continental mini series was on BBC, per The Times, Thursday, Nov 02, 1978; pg. 9; Issue 60448; col F
     Michael Strogoff BBC 2 Stanlet Reynolds.

Review attached.

Now if we could just get a copy of the English-dubbed version!  (Anyone .... ?)  But at least the DVD is available in French on amazon.

Brian Taves

--- On Mon, 8/18/08, Harry Hayfield <harryhayfield~at~googlemail.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: 1975 Strogoff mini-series broadcast in England
To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~Gilead.org.il>
Date: Monday, August 18, 2008, 10:39 PM

That's all they told me (nothing about running time) just the title and when it was broadcast on the BBC. I could try and dig around some old Radio Times online and see if that brings up any joy.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-jvf~at~Gilead.org.il [mailto:owner-jvf~at~Gilead.org.il]On Behalf Of Brian Taves
Sent: 18 August 2008 11:33 pm
To: Jules Verne Forum

Harry, Do they indicate which version (or is it pssible to tell by running time?), or just title?  ie, obviously the 1975 mini series was not broadcast till at at least that time; presumably the 1961 and 1962 versions were other movies, perhaps the 1956 Curt Jurgens big-screen version and its sequel.  Thanks, Brian

--- On Fri, 8/15/08, Harry Hayfield <harryhayfield~at~googlemail.com> wrote:

To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~Gilead.org.il>
Date: Friday, August 15, 2008, 8:43 AM

According to the BBC's Information Line (contactable in the UK on 08700 100 222) the programme was broadcast on the BBC on the following dates

10th August 1961
20th May 1962
1st November 1978
16th February 1981

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-jvf~at~Gilead.org.il [mailto:owner-jvf~at~Gilead.org.il]On Behalf Of Brian Taves
Sent: 15 August 2008 6:20 am
To: jvf~at~Gilead.org.il
Subject: 1975 Strogoff mini-series broadcast in England

Our colleague Garmt has on his site at

http://www.phys.uu.nl/~gdevries/objects/strogoff.html

where, as he notes,

"On one and the same day, I found two copies of the soundtrack of the 1975 TV series Michael Strogoff. One has the text on the cover in Dutch, the other is in English. Strangely enough, the order of the tracks on side B is different on the two records. Also, the English cover claims the series to be a BBC series, but it was produced in Austria / France / Switzerland / West Germany."

I have often wondered about this also, and have been unable to find any indication of a British broadcast of this miniseries.  Can any of our friends in the UK be of assistance on this?

Thanks in advance.

Brian Taves

Received on Tue 11 Nov 2008 - 22:48:19 IST

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2009/02/01 22:36:11 $$