Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: How to keep a Vernian happy over Christmas in the United Kingdom

Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:51:17 -0800 (PST)
To: Jules Verne Forum <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>

A strong second to Craig W. on his well-founded opinions re the Cross and Caine versions of 20,000 Leagues. As far as English-language versions, James Mason's mantle is safe on his shoulders---1954 version may not have been literally faithful to Verne but I think it was spiritually faithful.

Tom

Sent: Mon, December 14, 2009 3:13:55 PM
Subject: Re: How to keep a Vernian happy over Christmas in the United Kingdom

But, PLEASE, give a complete miss to the Hallmark 20K (with Ben Cross as the oilest Nemo you could possibly imagine) and the other one with Michael Caine (as Nemo? Come on - be serious ["You only had to blow 'is bloody rudder off!"]).

Those two films were absolutely awful and, in my opinion, an insult to Verne. Even with computer technology, their effects were terrible - the 1954 film's effects knocked them into a cocked hat. OK, so that wasn't true to Verne but it still remains the best film version.

(Question) - why doesn't anyone film the book?)

Members of this forum might like to view the 1975 Russian TV version, entitled Kapitan Nemo. I only discovered this last week. The surface maritime scenes/special effects are pretty dire, but the characterisations are stunning - this versions even includes flashbacks to Prince Dakkar v the British occupying forces).

Craig

On 14 Kev 2009, at 19:15, Harry Hayfield wrote:

> Saturday December 19th 2009
> 6.20pm FilmFour 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)
>
> Sunday December 20th 2009
> 12.45pm Sky Movies Classics Around the World in Eighty Days (1956) (repeated 9.00pm)
>
> Tuesday December 22nd 2009
> 9.00pm E4 The 100 Greatest Children's Shows
>
> Wednesday December 23rd 2009
> 9.00pm E4 The 100 Greatest Children's Shows
> (I think that Around the World with Willy Fog as nominated and there will appear somewhere)
>
> Christmas Day
> 4.15pm FIVER Journey to the Centre of the Earth (TV Movie)
>
> Not much compared to past years, I grant you, but from time to time you can find gems not listed in the usual TV guides for instance the 1916 version of 20,000 Leagues which will probably be screened by the SUMO Channel over Christmas as well. If I find any more gems (or things Vernian of interest) I'll certainly post a heads up about them
>

--
Craig Weatherhill

Received on Tue 15 Dec 2009 - 09:18:27 IST

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2009/12/15 11:00:05 $$