Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: As you know I'm not able to attend the meeting in May in Maryland

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 05:52:51 -0800 (PST)
To: Jules Verne Forum <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>

Hi Harry,

Would be glad to receive the DVD, and then also make it available to our society.  The Controversial program sounds a bit like the the direct-to-DVD on Amazon, "The Extraordinary Voyages of JV," inspired primarily by Michel Lamy, and which I reviewed in a recent issue of the NAJVS newsletter.

http://www.amazon.com/Extraordinary-Voyages-Jules-Verne-Earth/dp/B0016NJ4U2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1265118709&sr=1-1

Brian

Subject: As you know I'm not able to attend the meeting in May in Maryland
To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~Gilead.org.il>
Date: Tuesday, February 2, 2010, 10:29 AM

#yiv615682675 {
MARGIN-TOP:25px;FONT-FAMILY:Arial, Helvetica;COLOR:#000000;MARGIN-LEFT:25px;FONT-SIZE:10pt;}
#yiv615682675 P.msoNormal {
MARGIN-TOP:0px;FONT-FAMILY:Helvetica, "Times New Roman";COLOR:#ffffcc;MARGIN-LEFT:0px;FONT-SIZE:10pt;}
#yiv615682675 LI.msoNormal {
MARGIN-TOP:0px;FONT-FAMILY:Helvetica, "Times New Roman";COLOR:#ffffcc;MARGIN-LEFT:0px;FONT-SIZE:10pt;}

(more's the pity) due to the small matter of our general election, but would like to know if I could contribute something else instead to be debated on / discussed or just generally looked at during the proceedings.
I have now got a DVD recorder again and would like to donate to the Forum (if they are able to figure out how to place stuff from a DVD online) and to the North American Jules Verne Society a DVD with three programmes relating to Jules Verne that I think people might like to see. Two of them are films, namely:
Journey to the Centre of the Earth (1973) starring Kenneth More and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1916)
The third programme though is of a slightly more different nature. Broadcast on Controversial TV (the name of the channel, not an opinion of television) the channel states that "Controversial TV is a platform for people to share alternative views and discuss suppressed viewpoints, we aim to air programming that is educational, thought provoking and enlightening", it is a documentary about the life and works of Jules Verne (with some very snazzy CGI inputs) however (and this is the real reason I am interesting in donating it) the whole programme makes several suggestions that Verne was a member of several secret societies and in what I think is a gross misrepresenation of Victorian Englishness has the gall to suggest that Phileas Fogg " an arcane, stolid, reserved, wanderlustuous, expeditious, untoady, indomitable, burnished, hyperopic, magnanimous, well-mannered, benignant, abstinent, daedal, magniloquent gentleman" was in fact a gay freemason (picks
 himself up off the floor) and could perhaps be used as the background for a debate on the motion: "This house believes that Jules Verne was a futurist, not a freemason"
If that is possible, may I enquire who would be the best people to post a copy of this DVD to?
Received on Tue 02 Feb 2010 - 15:53:38 IST

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2010/02/05 14:00:04 $$