Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: As you know I'm not able to attend the meeting in May in Maryland

Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 16:01:06 -0800 (PST)
To: Jules Verne Forum <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>

As it turns out, the Controversial program is simply a broadcast of the DVD mentioned below, so like the others, available on Amazon, etc.  Thanks for the info, Harry!

Brian Taves

Subject: Re: As you know I'm not able to attend the meeting in May in Maryland
To: jvf~at~Gilead.org.il
Date: Friday, February 5, 2010, 1:23 PM

I'd like to second Brian on this proposal.
Ross Bagby

-----Original Message-----
To: Jules Verne Forum <jvf~at~Gilead.org.il>
Sent: Tue, Feb 2, 2010 8:52 am
Subject: Re: As you know I'm not able to attend the meeting in May in Maryland

Hi Harry,

Would be glad to receive the DVD, and then also make it available to our society.  The Controversial program sounds a bit like the the direct-to-DVD on Amazon, "The Extraordinary Voyages of JV," inspired primarily by Michel Lamy, and which I reviewed in a recent issue of the NAJVS newsletter.

http://www.amazon.com/Extraordinary-Voyages-Jules-Verne-Earth/dp/B0016NJ4U2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1265118709&sr=1-1

Brian

From: Harry Hayfield &lt;harryhayfield~at~googlemail.com&gt;
Subject: As you know I'm not able to attend the meeting in May in Maryland
To: "Jules Verne Forum" &lt;jvf~at~Gilead.org.il&gt;
Date: Tuesday, February 2, 2010, 10:29 AM

(more's the pity) due to the small matter of our general election, but would like to know if I could contribute something else instead to be debated on / discussed or just generally looked at during the proceedings.
I have now got a DVD recorder again and would like to donate to the Forum (if they are able to figure out how to place stuff from a DVD online) and to the North American Jules Verne Society a DVD with three programmes relating to Jules Verne that I think people might like to see. Two of them are films, namely:
Journey to the Centre of the Earth (1973) starring Kenneth More and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1916)
The third programme though is of a slightly more different nature. Broadcast on Controversial TV (the name of the channel, not an opinion of television) the channel states that "Controversial TV is a platform for people to share alternative views and discuss suppressed viewpoints, we aim to air programming that is educational, thought provoking and enlightening", it is a documentary about the life and works of Jules Verne (with some very snazzy CGI inputs) however (and this is the real reason I am interesting in donating it) the whole programme makes several suggestions that Verne was a member of several secret societies and in what I think is a gross misrepresenation of Victorian Englishness has the gall to suggest that Phileas Fogg " an arcane, stolid, reserved, wanderlustuous, expeditious, untoady, indomitable, burnished, hyperopic, magnanimous, well-mannered, benignant, abstinent, daedal, magniloquent gentleman" was in fact a gay freemason (picks
 himself up off the floor) and could perhaps be used as the background for a debate on the motion: "This house believes that Jules Verne was a futurist, not a freemason"
If that is possible, may I enquire who would be the best people to post a copy of this DVD to?
Received on Wed 10 Feb 2010 - 02:01:17 IST

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2010/02/10 19:00:02 $$