Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: Did everyone have a nice time in the United States?--YES!

Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 17:23:38 -0700 (PDT)
To: jvf~at~gilead.org.il

To bring our European colleagues and others from this continent up to date, many of us are settlig back after the meeting of the North American Jules Verne Society, and I don’t feel presumptuous in saying on behalf of all that it was a splendid conference. 
The highlight was certainly attending on Saturday the Roundhouse Theater production of Around the World in 80 Days, from an adaptation by Mark Brown that has been playing in various venues around the country.  Surprising as it may seem, this production was vastly superior in staging, cast, performance, and direction to the version of the same script I saw a couple of years ago off-Broadway, and reviewed in the NAJVS newsletter, Extraordinary Voyages.  I’ve attached below a link to the website, which includes a youtube clip of excerpts that doesn’t capture the immediacy and scope of the presentation.
The previous Friday of the meeting was occupied by presentations of all types, from pastiches to publishing to.  Norm Wolcott, Dennis Kytasaari, Roger Leyonmark, Mark Eckell, professor Marie-Hélène Huet, Verne audio book reader Noel Gibilaro, Michael Dirda (the Pulitzer prize-winning book critic for the Washington Post), and yours truly all spoke. 
Thursday was occupied with our previous meeting (Jean-Michel and I continue as Prez and VP, respectively, and Dennis becomes secretary, while treasurer Henry Franke will also assume editorship of the newletter).  We concluded the sale of the Ed Palik collection that is helping to fund our translation projects.  Ed passed away last year, after donating his collection to the society for this purpose.  Many of us have now purchased volumes from Ed’s library, and I know I’m not alone in feeling that his treasures are now are in the hands of other Vernians who will enjoy them as much as he did.  So too, I think, with his interest in getting all of Verne into English—a topic Ed and I exchanged letters on back to the mid-1980s—he would be pleased that the series of translations named for him is well on track, with five volumes in various stages at the moment and such talent as Edward Baxter and Kieran O’Driscoll contributing their expertise.
Everything gelled to make the 2010 gathering a memorable few days, and we had great accommodations and dinners, too, thanks to some fine logistical efforts, mostly due to our colleague Mark Eckell.
Thanks to all for a great time!  I think Jules—and Ed too—are beaming down on us!

For info on the play, go to:

http://www.roundhousetheatre.org/performances/around-the-world-in-80-days/

Brian Taves  

Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 18:38:38 -0500
To: "'Jules Verne Forum'" <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>

Harry,

If you are referring to the NAJVS annual meeting, it is being held next
weekend. And will be reported on in the June newsletter.

Dennis 

From: owner-jvf~at~Gilead.org.il [mailto:owner-jvf~at~Gilead.org.il] On Behalf Of
Harry Hayfield
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2010 5:34 PM
To: Jules Verne Forum
Subject: Did everyone have a nice time in the United States? 

I trust that everyone had a nice time in the United States and has managed
to a) get back home without a certain Icelandic volcano (although sadly not
the one we know) putting it's ash cloud where it is not wanted and b) is
recovering from the exertions. May I ask when a report on the event will be
published and does this mean that it's Europe's turn to host the forum in
2011? If so, shall I try and find (however unlikely a connection it is)
between Verne and Wales?
Received on Fri 04 Jun 2010 - 03:23:47 IDT

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2010/06/05 02:00:03 $$