Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Walter James Miller - Memorial service this fall

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 14:02:33 -0400
CC: Terry Harpold <tharpold~at~ufl.edu>
To: Jules Verne Forum <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>

Dear friends,

I spoke with Mary Hume, Walter James Miller's widow, this morning. I communicated to her the outpouring on the Forum of sympathy for Walter's grieving family and praise for his contributions to Verne studies. She was grateful for that and asked me to thank everyone. Walter requested to be cremated and that no public wake or funeral ceremony be held. His wishes have been respected.

A formal memorial service for Walter will held at New York University (New York City) sometime this fall, probably in September. Dates & details have not been set; Mary and Walter's daughter Naomi will work those out in the coming weeks, and that information will be broadcast to this forum when it is known.

Mobilis in mobile,

TH

P.S. I count it among the most rewarding and melancholy moments of my work in this field to have read in Walter's place his short memoir of modern American Verne studies at last year's Eaton Science Fiction conference. Walter was to have attended that conference but had to withdraw at the last minute because of health concerns. Without his pathbreaking efforts in the 1960s and his ongoing support and encouragement of other scholars, such an event -- a major international conference celebrating Verne's importance and influence held at an American university! -- would have been impossible, even unthinkable. We owe him much.

----------------------------------------------
Terry Harpold
Associate Professor
Dept. of English, University of Florida
<http://www.english.ufl.edu/~tharpold>

"Reading in no way obliges you to understand."
Received on Wed 23 Jun 2010 - 22:24:31 IDT

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2010/06/23 22:00:03 $$