Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: Joyous Miseries

Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 09:03:39 +0200 (CEST)
To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>

This was a highly interesting lecture! The introduction and notes of Bill are, as usual, pertinent and helpful, so I will make only some critical comments. I personally think that the homoreotic interpretation of certain quotations are arbitrary and not convincing at all. In the same way, the pretended homosexuality of Aristide Hignard is repeated over and over again, and this without any reference or proof. On the other hand it’s a fact – and can be verified in contemporary publications – that Hignard was married, that his wife was very devoted to her husband when he was paralyzed during his last years, and that she died soon after him in 1898. Certainly, the composer could have been nevertheless homosexual – why not – but this assertion is purely hypothetical.

The text of Joyous Miseries, for having been published in 2003, is still under copyright, I think, and I did not find any indication that the translation has been realized with the permission of the owner. It belongs unfortunately to the history of this manuscript that even the French publication in Geo had been made without permission (I only state the fact) and that this proceeding provoked the blocking of the Verne manuscripts at Amiens for several years. Many scholars had to pay for this carelessness and had consequently to interrupt their investigations. Butcher lacks giving the precise references of the two manuscripts related to the Scandinavian journey: JV MS 11 and 12.

Same problem with the missing or incomplete references of the illustrations no. 1, 5, 6, 14, 22 and 24 to 27. The case of the last document (invitation to the dinner of the Eleven without Women, p. 33) is particularly important, and there are some inexactitudes. Hignard is not below Verne, but beside him (below it’s probably Ernest L’Épine alias Quatrelles). The letter is not signed Delioux, but Ph[ilippe] Gille. The provenance is in fact the Bibliothèque nationale de France, département des manuscripts (after a first publication in a book of Jean-Paul Dekiss in 2005, Jules Verne, un humain planétaire, p.30). There are indeed two similar documents. The identity of the addressee – Pierre-Jules Hetzel!, not indicated by Butcher – shows that the letter might also have been written in 1858. This date is even more probable because of Hetzel’s exile at Bruxelles and his different trips to Paris at this time.

In the end, appendix C lacks the indication that the identification of Emile L… as Emile Lorois had been the subject of an article by Volker Dehs, “’Soyons trios!’ Le troisième voyageur en Scandinavie” in Bulletin de la Société Jules Verne no. 150 (2004), pp. 3-4.

-- 
Volker Dehs, Eisenbahnstr. 9, D-37073 Göttingen.

Von: "Schulman, Peter" <pschulma~at~odu.edu>
Gesendet: 04.05.2011 19:28:50
An: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf@Gilead.org.il>
Betreff: Re: Joyous Miseries

wow that sounds fantastic! I can't wait to read it as you are an expert/brilliant translator...

Dr. Peter Schulman
Professor of French and International Studies
Dept of Foreign Languages and Literatures
Old Dominion University
Norfolk, VA 23529
tel: 757-683-3323
fax: 757-683-5659

From: owner-jvf@Gilead.org.il [owner-jvf@Gilead.org.il] On Behalf Of wbutcher [wbutcher@netvigator.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 10:06 AM
To: 'Jules Verne Forum'
Subject: Joyous Miseries

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that I’ve published my translation, with critical apparatus, of Joyous Miseries of Three Travellers in Scandinavia on http://www.ibiblio.org/julesverne/JoyousMiseriescompact.pdf. A revised edition, incorporating constructive comments and suggestions, will be available shortly.

Best wishes,

Bill

http://www.ibiblio.org/julesverne/

1A, Kai Kuk Shue Ha, Luk Keng, North District, NT, HONG KONG

Received on Thu 05 May 2011 - 10:03:46 IDT

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2011/05/14 11:00:04 $$