Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: Jules Verne CI covers and illos in Classics Illustrated: A Cultural History, Second Edition

Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 12:32:43 -0700 (PDT)
To: Jules Verne Forum <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>

Some years back, on the occasion of the first edition of Bill's book, I had the pleasure of listening to a presentation on CI at the Library of Congress, and can testify to the breadth of his knowledge of the series and its cultural impact.

I've been anticipating adding this volume to my library and will be getting my order in!

Brian

Subject: Jules Verne CI covers and illos in Classics Illustrated: A Cultural History, Second Edition
To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~Gilead.org.il>
Date: Wednesday, August 31, 2011, 4:13 AM

Fellow Vernians,

I thought you might be interested to hear that Jules Verne is well-represented in my recently published Classics Illustrated: A Cultural History, Second Edition (McFarland, 2011): http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-3840-2 or http://www.amazon.com/Classics-Illustrated-Cultural-History-ed/dp/0786438401/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314763202&sr=8-1. Norman Saunders's painted cover for A Journey to the Center of the Earth graces the new book's front cover, while the iconic Off on a Comet painted cover (which was the centerpiece of the first-edition front cover) appears on page C8 of the first color section. 

The second edition includes Classics Illustrated interior-art pages from Michael Strogoff (Arnold L. Hicks, p. 44), The Mysterious Island (Robert H. Webb, p. 53), Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Henry C. Kiefer, full-page reproduction of original art, p. 70), Around the World in Eighty Days (Henry C. Kiefer, p. 71), From the Earth to the Moon (Alex A. Blum, p. 88), A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Norman Nodel, p. 157), Master of the World (Gray Morrow, p. 219), and Robur the Conqueror (Don Perlin, p. 228). The CI covers for From the Earth to the Moon (p. 135), Master of the World (p. 236), and Tigers and Traitors (p. 238) appear as black-and-white text illustrations.

Classics Illustrated, 2d Ed., is more than 100 pages longer than the first edition (now out of print), with over 300 illustrations, more than three-fourths of which are new. Nine of the thirteen images listed above are unique to the second edition. The descriptive Appendix entries have been greatly expanded to include the month, year, HRN (Highest Reorder Number), and cover and interior-art variants of each CI title. If some of your early encounters with Jules Verne were through the Classics Illustrated adaptations, this book may bring back memories of temps perdu.

Thanks.

Bill  
Received on Sat 03 Sep 2011 - 22:32:51 IDT

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2011/09/03 20:00:01 $$