Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: I would like to know whether members would be interested

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 18:43:47 +0100 (BST)
To: Jules Verne Forum <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>

Good lord, Alex. This is going to sound a little strange so I shall explain it as slowly as I can. Here in the United Kingdom, ITV (Independent Television) used to have a schools programmes service from 9.30am until 1.00pm every weekday. One of the programmes they had was called "Picture Box" which showed animation from various parts of the world and (as quoted from a website about the programme) "In 1974 came activity pack back-up and programme advisers, as the education got serious....that Canadian cartoon wherein one Dr. Philip Square tunnelling into the Earth’s core". That is one that I saw (and never really understood at the time) but here we are some 30 years later and you dig it up all because I mention that I would like to compare four different versions of "Journey". How small a world is it, eh?

----- Original Message -----

To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~Gilead.org.il>
Sent: Monday, 12 September, 2011 5:49:26 PM
Subject: Re: I would like to know whether members would be interested

Hi Harry,

You might also enjoy (and consider including) the following two films, both of which are inspired by JCE and maintain the Vernian combination of instruction and adventure.

Cesta do Praveku (1955) - a lovely Czech film by Karel Zeman, who makes no secret of the film's Vernian roots. His version of the story follows four boys who travel down a river and find, to their great satisfaction, that it is taking them backwards through time. The quietly touching tone of the film reminds me very much of Truffaut's classic "Argent de Poche" - but it predates Argent by a good 20 years, and also includes woolly mammoths and dinosaurs! It's currently available, full-length and with subtitles, on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqsu2AhuXxA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The Underground Movie (1972) - a quirky little animated short in which a Canadian scientist has the same ambition as Otto Liedenbrock. To make the journey through the white-hot center possible, he invents a Nautilus-like conveyance with various helpful features. The short is slightly educational and very silly, and is available at the National Film Board of Canada's website.

Alex

On Sep 12, 2011, at 9:01 AM, Patrick Sheffield < psheffield~at~earthlink.net > wrote:

I would enjoy such an article...

On Sep 12, 2011, at 4:06 AM, Harry Hayfield wrote:

<blockquote>

Ah, that's around the World, this article is about "Journey" only. Perhaps I might do World at a later date

----- Original Message -----

From: "Garmt de Vries-Uiterweerd" < garmtdevries~at~gmail.com >
To: "Jules Verne Forum" < jvf~at~Gilead.org.il >
Sent: Monday, 12 September, 2011 9:45:05 AM
Subject: Re: I would like to know whether members would be interested

Definitely, go ahead and write that article. You could also include
the 1989 miniseries with Pierce Brosnan as Fogg.

Cheers,
Garmt

On 12 September 2011 10:01, Harry Hayfield < harryhayfield~at~gmail.com > wrote:
> By a sheer fluke, I found out that Channel 4 in the UK was premiering the
> 2008 version of Journey to the Centre of the Earth yesterday (at the end of
> a fortnight when the 1959 and 1976 versions had also been screened on
> various other channels), all coupled with me submitting my version to my
> local theatre group and having found my Willy Fog version of the story from
> 1991 made me wonder whether or not the forum would be interested in an
> article looking at all four versions (1959, 1976, 1991 and 2008) noting the
> similarities and the differences between them and then scoring them on key
> elements to produce an unofficial "This is the version that must be in any
> self respecting Vernian's DVD case"?
>

</blockquote>