Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: Verne in Kindle

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 20:49:39 -0800
To: Jules Verne Forum <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>

Just an FYI - with the proper tools (plugins for Calibre, for one), you can purchase the e-books for one reader, remove the DRM, and read them in another reader…

Patrick

On Jan 12, 2012, at 6:40 PM, Raymond Macon wrote:

> Hello Art and other Vernians,
>
> Since we’re on the subject of e-book editions of Verne’s works, would anyone care to give recommendations of the best translations available to us Nook users? I’d be much obliged.
>
> Raymond
>
> From: owner-jvf~at~Gilead.org.il [mailto:owner-jvf~at~Gilead.org.il] On Behalf Of aevans2 tds.net
> Sent: Thursday, 12 January, 2012 19:29
> To: Jules Verne Forum
> Subject: Verne in Kindle
>
> Dear Vernian friends,
>
> I have been asked which Kindle e-book Verne collections I would recommend. I have not examined all of them, but there are substantial differences among them, not only in the quality of the translations but also in the quality of the navigation, the typography, and the "extras" such as intros and illustrations. Of the few that I looked at, none was 100% the best in all ways. But some were definitely better than others.
>
> Considering only the quality of the translations included, no single collection featured only good translations. Most collections had a mixture of both good and bad. But I would encourage everyone to avoid purchasing those products containing the very worst Verne translations.
>
> For example:
> This one contains the horrific "Hardwigg" version of Journey to the Center of the Earth, which in my opinion automatically disqualifies it from consideration:
> The Essential Jules Verne Collection - 25 Books (Bob Henry, illustrator, publisher?, 2/18/11) - “Illustrated with 10 unique illustrations.” $1.99 (9465 KB)
>
> These three contain the very poor Mercier version of Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Seas:
> Jules Verne Collection (BompaCrazy.com, 6/18/08) - $0.99 (4145 KB)
> The Essential Jules Verne Collection - 25 Books (Bob Henry, illustrator, publisher?, 2/18/11) - “Illustrated with 10 unique illustrations.” $1.99 (9465 KB)
> Works of Jules Verne (Mobi Collected Works, MobileReference, 9/22/07) - $4.79 (11397 KB)
>
> These two are much better because they both contain Walter's excellent (Gutenberg) translation of Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Seas:
> The Collected Works of Jules Verne: 36 Novels and Short Stories (Unexpurgated Edition, Halcyon Classics, 7/9/09) - $2.99 (7443 KB)
> The Works of Jules Verne - 27 Books (Raleigh St. Clair Books, 6/3/09) - $1.99 (9259 KB)
>
> Has anyone else examined the other ebook Verne collections? Do you have any recommendations?
>
> Cordially,
> Art
>
>
>
Received on Fri 13 Jan 2012 - 06:49:48 IST

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2012/01/13 09:00:06 $$