Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: This sounds of interest

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 07:47:31 -0500

Since the Krakatoa eruption didn't happen until 1888 (as described and fictionalized in the wonderful Verne pastiche "The Twenty-one Balloons"), I'm pretty sure Verne's fascination with volcanoes had a different source...

All the best,

Alex

On Apr 12, 2012, at 6:04 AM, Harry Hayfield <harryhayfield~at~gmail.com> wrote:

> Kate Humble will host a BBC Two series live from an active Hawaiian volcano this summer. She will be joined by the geologist Professor Iain Stewart at Kilauea volcano for Volcano Live, which will be broadcast in four parts during July 9-12. Hawaii sits on the Pacific 'ring of fire', making it one of the most volcanic land masses in the world, and Kilauea draws around two million visitors every year. The series will also explore volcanic activity in Africa, Iceland and South America, and examine the the science of earthquakes and tsunamis. Volcano Live follows the success of other factual event shows such as Stargazing, which drew around 4 million viewers earlier this year. Humble said: 'Presenting live television that responds to the mostly unpredictable natural environment is never an easy thing to do, but after Lambing Live, Spring and Autumnwatch, I've got the bug!' BBC Two controller Janice Hadlow added that the new series would offer a rare opportunity to see 'the forefront of cutting-edge volcanology research'. Volcano Live is a BBC Factual Production, which is executive produced by Lisa Ausden and series produced by Alan Holland.
>
> During Stargazing Live they asked for questions from the public that were asked by Skype, when they start asking for questions for this programme should I ask "Was Jules Verne an amateur vulcanologist or was he (like most people) just awed by the eruption of Karakota in the 19th century?"
Received on Thu 12 Apr 2012 - 15:47:04 IDT

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2012/04/12 15:00:02 $$