Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: But, that's a fictional surname, surely?

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 04:59:52 -0700 (PDT)
To: Jules Verne Forum <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>

Hi Harry, If they're available to you, take a look at the fascinating annotated editions byPeter Costello (Everyman's Library) and our own Bill Butcher (Oxford). Both trace the name back to William Perry Fogg, who in 1872 published a book...on his travels around the world! Oddly enough, however, Verne never mentioned W. P. Fogg when discussing the origins of the novel; he's on record as saying "Fogg means nothing but brouillard." So perhaps it's a coincidence, and Verne got the name from somewhere else. Charles Dickens, one of his favorite authors, mentions the firm of Dodson & Fog in The Pickwick Papers. In any case, congratulations on running across a living Fogg - they're certainly hard to find! The only other example I can think of, in fact or fiction, is in the Madeline series of children's books by Ludwig Bemelmans. According to the Christmas volume of the series, the title heroine, a young British girl in a Parisian boarding school, is named Madeline Fogg. A relation, perhaps? Cheers, Alex ________________________________ From: Harry Hayfield <harryhayfield~at~gmail.com> To: Jules Verne Forum <jvf~at~Gilead.org.il> Sent: Friday, April 27, 2012 5:18 AM Subject: But, that's a fictional surname, surely? As you know I am standing for election next week to Ceredigion County Council (having been elected unopposed to the community council) and in preparation am entering the nominations for every council across Wales by ward. Whilst I was doing the nominations for Cardiff Council, I came across the nominations for the Penylan ward (represented by two Liberal Democrat councillors in 2008) and noticed a very interesting candidate indeed.   Penylan; Cardiff, WALES  [Cardiff] Known candidates for next election include: Joe Boyle, Lib Dem Kathryn Ruth Brock, Green Cllr. Tricia Burfoot, Lib Dem Reece Emmitt, Lab Kelvin Evans, Plaid Michael William Edward Fogg, Lab Roland William Hemingway, Con Peter Michael Hudson, Con Bill Kelloway, Lib Dem Malachy John Mcevoy, Plaid Ann Elizabeth Miles, Plaid Akbar Taher Mookhtiar, Lab Michael Philip Wallbank, Con   "But, hold on a minute!" I said to myself, "Fogg's a fictional surname, isn't it?" Could I ask therefore where Verne got Phileas's surname from?
Received on Fri 27 Apr 2012 - 15:00:01 IDT

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2012/04/27 14:00:09 $$