Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: Master of the World

Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 15:28:54 -0600
To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>

Bill & J-M,

What geographic sources did Verne consult while writing MDM? Is this known?

All the best,

Rick

Frederick Paul Walter
Albuquerque, New Mexico

----- Original Message -----
  To: Jules Verne Forum
  Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 2:06 PM
  Subject: Re: Master of the World

On 5/7/2012 3:06 PM, Jpelliott16~at~aol.com wrote:
    Hello,

I am currently researching the Jules Verne novel Master of the World. Morganton, North Carolina (Burke County) USA is one of the principle settings for the novel. The national 2012 Jules Verne Society summer conference will be held this year in Marion, North Carolina (McDowell County) USA to discuss Verne's inspiration and sources for the novel, including the mysterious summit referred to in the story as the Great Eyrie. In the novel, the summit can be seen from the town of Morganton and the community of Pleasant Gardens in McDowell County. I grew up in McDowell County.

I am writing at this time in hopes you will give me your personal view as to why he might have chosen the small Southern communities of Burke and McDowell Counties, North Carolina USA, of all places, as settings for his story? (My understanding is that Verne only visited the US once but never traveled beyond New York State.)

I'll appreciate any input you are willing to provide, if nothing more than a personal opinion or conjecture. Many thanks.

Best wishes,

Joe

Joe Elliott
    Asheville, North Carolina USA
    828-775-4523
  Thanks, Joe, for your message to the JV Forum. You, Bill Butcher and I exchanged emails this year about the location of the Great Eyry. Your message above is correct about the Annual Meeting of the North American Jules Verne Society in Marion, NC mid-June. I hope you will be able to attend, as you seem very interested by the main theme of our meeting this year.

I would like to put two things right for all anglophone Verne readers:
  1. The mountain in the novel is the Great Eyry, not the the Great Eyrie.
  2. There are NO good English translation of "Maître du monde". The two translations available are INCOMPLETE. One is acceptable and the second (quoted here above) is VERY bad.

More details about the novel will be brought and discussed at the meeting.

Jean-Michl Margot,
  President NAJVS
Received on Tue 08 May 2012 - 00:29:08 IDT

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2012/05/08 01:00:03 $$