Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: Master of the World

Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 07:09:42 -0600
To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>

Bill,

These are further exellent thoughts. I hope Jean-Michel and this year's attendees are able to carry them out, and I look forward to their conclusions.

As ever, many thanks!

Warmest regards,

Rick

Frederick Paul Walter
Albuquerque, New Mexico

----- Original Message -----
  To: 'Jules Verne Forum'
  Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 10:55 PM
  Subject: Re: Master of the World

Rick,

I've been highlighting the textual problems in the Hetzelised Verne for a quarter of a century, so I'm of course delighted such ideas are gaining some currency.

Attempting to identify the mountain would be well beyond my ability; it's an area where locals might have more insights. The way forward might be for "someone" to produce an authoritative, annotated translation of the relevant passages from MM, as a - hopefully - agreed basis for discussion, plus a map if possible. Then the discussions could weigh up the alternatives...

Best

Bill

From: owner-jvf~at~Gilead.org.il [mailto:owner-jvf~at~Gilead.org.il] On Behalf Of Rick Walter
  Sent: 08 May 2012 11:53
  To: Jules Verne Forum

Bill,

As usual, many thanks for your insights! By now I expect misspellings, mixups, and obscurities in the MSs and Hetzels of ANY Verne novel I work with, and I'm sure you do as well ... they come with the territory.

I'd asked about sources for MDM out of plain curiosity, since by the time of its writing Verne was an armchair-traveling septuagenarian. I was wondering if there was any possibility of actually pinpointing the mountain in question, as this year's NAJVS conference hopes to do -- whaddya think?

Thanks again and warmest regards,

Rick

Frederick Paul Walter

Albuquerque, New Mexico

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 8:50 PM

PS probably not relevant, but Verne sometimes writes "Great-eary" in the MS, the name of a geological age.

Sent: 08 May 2012 10:34
    Subject: RE: Master of the World

Rick,

I'm not aware of any research done on this question of why MM is set in Morganton etc.

In the manuscript, Verne writes "Satawba-river" (i 3), an attested variant of "Catawba", whereas Hetzel fils (and most subsequent editions) published the erroneous "Sarawba". If you Google-books Satawba and Morganton in French pre 1920, you get only Baedeker and L Drapeyron, in the Revue de géographie.

Another clue is that Verne wrote both "Alleghanis" (i 1) and "Alleghanys" (i 3).

Hoping this helps...

Best

Bill

From: owner-jvf~at~Gilead.org.il [mailto:owner-jvf~at~Gilead.org.il] On Behalf Of Jean-Michel Margot
    Sent: 08 May 2012 08:18
    To: Jules Verne Forum

On 5/7/2012 5:28 PM, Rick Walter wrote:

Bill & J-M,

What geographic sources did Verne consult while writing MDM? Is this known?

All the best,

Rick

That's the problem. We don't know which source JV used to get a description of the mountains of North Caroline.

Jean-Michel Margot
Received on Tue 08 May 2012 - 16:10:03 IDT

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2012/05/08 14:00:04 $$