Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: BBC Coast goes all Vernian

Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 19:49:50 +0100
To: Jules Verne Forum <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>

Further to Harry's posting re The Coast, I was featured in the segment on the Green Ray. I spent all day with the production team aboard the paddle steamer Waverley. For reasons of time and daylight we could not cover the entire route followed by Verne to Oban but we steamed the Firth of Clyde and through the dramatic Kyles of Bute to Loch Fyne where Verne transferred to the Crinan canal. I haven't seen the rushes but BBC tell me they were pleased and as it was a glorious day the scenery should be magnificent on the film.
Re the earlier posting on Les naufragés du fol espoir, Ariane Mnouchkine with her Theatre du Soleil will be performing this at the Edinburgh Festival. A few days later I will be joining her and Michel Le Bris (founder of book and theatre festivals) for a public debate on Verne and Scotland and Franco-Scottish cultural contacts generally, entitled "A Very French Connection".
Ian Thompson.
Sent: 08 May 2012 18:46
To: Jules Verne Forum
Subject: BBC Coast goes all Vernian

You may remember sometime ago, the BBC Coast programme was looking for ideas for their seventh series and I suggested that they do a story about "Le Rayon Vert" and explain the science behind it as well in the location it was set. Well, the seven series launches on BBC Two and BBC HD, this Sunday (for viewers in the United Kingdom only) and the first episode is called "The Mysteries of the Isles" and has the following synopsis:

Coast is back in the UK and, for the first time, each episode will feature stories from every part of the British Isles, taking viewers on a 'journey of the imagination' which explores the universal themes that bind everyone together. Nick Crane signs on as a deck-hand with a tall ship, reliving the great days of sail on a gruelling yet exhilarating journey between the Northern Isles of Scotland. Nick hopes to fulfil a childhood ambition by setting foot on tiny 'Fair Isle'. This is the most remote populated outpost in the British Isles and home to just 70 hardy souls. Can Nick uncover the mystery of how this tiny community's struggle to survive was successful, when many other larger Scottish islands were abandoned?

At Scapa Flow on Orkney, Neil Oliver explores the conspiracy theories surrounding the mysterious death of Lord Kitchener. Kitchener was one of over 600 soldiers and sailors who perished when their ship went down. Neil meets locals on Orkney who believe tales of suspicious events on the fateful night of the wreck. Historian Tessa Dunlop hopes to witness an extraordinary and uplifting sight that is special to the Western Isles of Scotland: the mysterious Green Ray. What causes the exceptionally rare Green Ray and how can Tessa be guaranteed to see it? On the Isle of Wight Coast newcomer Andy Torbet finds himself scaling slippery new heights on the Needles. There are no records of his climb being done before. He is attempting the perilous ascent to solve the mystery of why this needle of chalk has resisted erosion by the waves for millions of years. There is a special appearance by legendary folk singer June Tabor who tells the tale of the mysterious Selkie, a mythical creature that can take the shape of man.

I do not think I will get a credit for the story, but thought that members in the United Kingdom might like to watch this and know that a humble member of the group has managed to get Verne onto the television!
Received on Tue 08 May 2012 - 23:37:11 IDT

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2012/05/08 22:00:03 $$