Jules Verne Forum

<jvf@Gilead.org.il>

[Email][Members][Photos][Archive][Search][FAQ][Passwd][private]

Re: A "Bearded" Fogg?

Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 20:42:41 -0600
To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>

Bill is right. Harry actually quoted from the sempiternal G. M. Towle translation, which is significantly less reliable than Bill's excellent OUP rendering.

All the best,

Rick

Frederick Paul Walter
Albuquerque, New Mexico

----- Original Message -----
  To: 'Jules Verne Forum'
  Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:10 PM
  Subject: A "Bearded" Fogg?

Dear All,

I’d like to reopen this thread of a while back, where Harry Hayfield claimed below to be quoting my translation of AWED, as follows:

“People said that he resembled Byron,—at least that his head was Byronic; but he was a bearded, tranquil Byron, who might live on a thousand years without growing old.”

However, what I actually wrote was very different:

“He was said to look like Byron : his head at least, for his feet were beyond reproach but a mustachioed and bewhiskered Byron, an impassive Byron, one who might have lived for a thousand years without ever growing old.”

Apologies for any confusion in the subsequent exchanges,

Bill

From: owner-jvf~at~Gilead.org.il [mailto:owner-jvf~at~Gilead.org.il] On Behalf Of Harry Hayfield
  Sent: 15 January 2012 23:47
  To: Jules Verne Forum
  Subject: Re: Figurine Phileas Fogg

Tout cela est très agréable, je suis sûr, et j'espère que l'entreprise a beaucoup de succès dans cette entreprise, mais il n'est pas exactement ce que je qualifierais de «Byron» est-il? (Francais)

All very nice I am sure, and I hope that the company has a great deal of success in that venture, but he's not exactly what I would call "Byronic" is he? (English)

Google Image Search Results for "Lord Bryon" http://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1DSGL_enGB406GB441&q=Lord+Bryon&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=7vAST_PKFMHb8APh5OjxAw&biw=1366&bih=643&sei=8_AST4y_JImO8gO8itnwAw

(Source: "Around the World in Eighty Days" William Butcher translation)

People said that he resembled Byron,—at least that his head was Byronic; but he was a bearded, tranquil Byron, who might live on a thousand years without growing old.

------ Original Message ------
  To: "Jules Verne Forum" <jvf~at~gilead.org.il>
  Sent: 15/01/2012 13:30:02
  Subject: Figurine Phileas Fogg

Bonjour tout le monde,

Voici, Phileas Fogg, le nouveau modèle de la collection «Les héros de Jules Verne».
  La sculpture est l'œuvre de Sergey Zlobov, elle est moulée en résine, à l'échelle 54mm.
  Une version peinte sera bientôt disponible.

J'espère que vous aimez.

Amicalement,

Noël

image001.jpg image002.jpg
Received on Fri 11 May 2012 - 05:42:52 IDT

hypermail 2.2.0 JV.Gilead.org.il
Copyright © Zvi Har’El
$Date: 2012/05/13 21:00:03 $$